Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Craigslist Shuffle: Ultegra Shifters And A Girvin Sighting

A few weeks ago I told you about my latest addition and things are moving right along. I just rolled down to Georgetown and picked up a set of Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters through a Craigslist ad. I just need the appropriate bar tape and they will be good to go. Bar end shifters, your days are numbered. You know every step closer to my Ultimate Cross Check goal makes me feel a little more like Mr. Burns... hmm?

yes... excellent...

Shout out to Dan from Big Wheel Bikes in G-town. Thanks for the hook up, and props on the Girvin rental bike!

This fork will be around long after you're dead.


5 comments:

Marco Costa said...

Interesnting blog!

Haif Ella said...

i like to read this blog!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that there are other Girvin/Proflex fans in the DC area! I have about 7 of those forks at home on various bikes, from the carbon Crosslink on my upgraded K2 4000 to the Vector IIs on our 3 Proflex 856's. Yes, I have a bit of a problem when it comes to old bike parts :-)

- Doug
Falls Church

Cycle Jerk said...

Wow! I have just the one. They are truly bombproof. I have had mine since 95 or 96, i can't remember. I always wanted to switch out the legs for carbon fiber ones. I plan on converting the bike it's on to an extracycle. Thank would be pretty cool. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Just stopped back to see if there was a response. It's funny, people don't seem to understand or recognize the opportunities with Proflex bikes and Girvin forks. A guy had posted an 856 on DC craigslist...it was already cheap at $150, but he got no takers, and just yesterday I picked it up from him for $75. It's barely used, though with a mix of lower end components and some funky Pulstar hubbed wheels. With a few tweaks and coil-over or air shocks in the Vectors it will ride great. I know 4 856's is a bit much, but none of the frames cost me over $75, I think. My wife's barely ever ridden 856 (with Noleen coil-over shocks front and back) came from a woman in Great Falls for $275, and included a cyclocomputer and a bunch of other accessories and a second set of kevlar tires. Crazy. Anyway, if you ever need any Vector parts locally drop me a line: dougbrashear@yahoo.com