Monday, June 18, 2012

Tour de Fat DC: Tour de F#&K Yeah!

This past weekend I took the family to the much anticipated Tour de Fat at the Yards Park in DC and I must say that there was nothing lame anywhere to be found.
(Except the Yankees winning a block away)

There were sexy parade people...


There were lots of oversized board game classics...

There was lots of meandering...

There was a fake/real gameshow...



There were lots of chicks with drums, some say those are the best kind of chicks....

There was me on what I can easily say was the most fun "bike" type machine I've ever ridden. The concept of this amazing contraption was simple; make a bigwheel for grownups that power-slides every time you make the slightest turn. The best part was that if you turned too hard it would send you rolling off, combining my two favorite adrenaline boosting activities;  power-sliding and wrecking. Thank you New Belgium!
Here are some power-sliding action shots:

And here is a wrecking shot.

There were lots of other bike oddities to wreck on...
Yeah that's my voice talking to my 3.5 year old. Suck it.
I was unaware at the time but this video I captured Gwadzilla, (in the pink helmet) deftly outspinning his opponents who were flung far and wide and left hoist in their own petard. (0:45sec)

The event culminated in a ceremony honoring a DC citizen who traded her car in for a bike. Props.

So a damn good time was had and a bunch of money was raised. Cheers to New Belgium and WABA.

4 comments:

Lionel Joseph said...

That I missed the sexy parade people, oversized board game classics, fake game show, bike giveaway, and chicks with drums was bad enough. But when you mentioned there was lots of meandering I was extremely upset at myself and began to slash my wrists with tire levers. But I've lived to post this comment and next year you can be sure I will be there for this fine American cultural institution.

Cycle Jerk said...

Strong words Mr. Joseph. I'll see you next year if we don't bump into each other first at the Haile Selassie Cultural Pavilion.


Boo-boo yah, boo-boo yah, boo-boo yah, hah!

Lionel Joseph said...

I-&-I love dis blog and will be wearin' dem lederhosen for dem parade next year. Seen?

Freewheel said...

Good stuff. And Gwadzilla is epic, even with the pink helmet.