Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beer Review: Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (My Wife's New Favorite)


Last weekend the family stopped into the Dogfish Head Brewpub in Rehoboth, Delaware. The place was packed, the food was decent, and the beer list was extensive.  I had the DFH Ale which was strong and hoppy as promised. My wife wanted to try something seasonal and was presented with the Punkin Ale of which she was instantly a fan; so much so I thought I had better pick up a four pack for further analysis.


Punkin Ale pours a beautiful orange color that is kind of well... pumpkiny. The spices: nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and brown sugar are all present but not overpowering. Some pumpkin ales seem to force the pumpkin flavor making the beer too sweet but not this one. This is also true of a lot of flavored beers. The actual pumpkin flavor is subtle and balances out the spices well giving the Punkin Ale a very smooth finish.

I can see why this is on the top of my wife's list. It is full-bodied (as the label states) but not gimmicky like some of the competition.

Bottom line: Highly Spouse Recommended.
Buy It if you love the flavor of beer in your flavored seasonal beer.
Don't Buy It if your looking for hints candy corn in your pumpkin ale.



No comments: