Friday, June 12, 2009

Surly You Can't Be Serious...

I am officially in it for the long haul. My new Surly Long Haul Trucker arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier. It has been a long journey to get to this point, having scrounged, saved, purchased, and sold a Cross Check that was too small. Enough about the past though, check it out!

I threw the rack and the Brooks Saddle on yesterday and I love how the honey color works with the green paint. I have big plans for tricking the LHT out which started with an early birthday gift from the brother man.

A vintage Swiss military issue cycling bag from WWII. The leather and waxed canvas are in pretty good condition for being over 60 years old. All I need now is a mount for my 60 year old Swiss K31 and this thing would be ready for a land assault (or a really interesting commute).




Silver SKS fenders, cotton bar tape, (or leather if I can afford it), and a brass bell from Velo-Orange are the immediate necessities. Who knows what else I'll "need" in the future. Please comment if you have any suggestions or fowl things to say about the stock parts.


Ok people, as you know the swap meet is tomorrow. It is your duty as part of the cycling community to foster local events such as this. If that doesn't guilt you into participating show up to peruse all the gems that I will be unloading! Wheelsets, cranks, bottom brackets, tires, bars, frames, shocks, saddles, pedals etc.

This will be a good swap meet dammit!



6 comments:

shryke said...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,257.html

you'll start a trend with the courier crowd.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=AR06806

libertyonbikes! said...

good choice,
although i do like that turd brown color surly does.
LHT or CrossCheck - both are great,
and the complete LHT- pretty respectable for the price-
my LBS has a LHT (?) with the Surly
front & rear racks -
and if those aren't the cats pajama's.....
but $125 each is a little rough.
put on some detour rear bags...

but how are the bar end shifters?
i thought if i built one i'ld
opt for cross top brake levers and thumb shifters....
maybe i'm cheap,
or odd.

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Soop-uh sweet! Enjoy!

Jon said...

Very nice!

I love the olive colour. I recently purchased a new 2009 LHT in the truckaccino, pretty similar build to yours by the looks of it but I splurged on the brooks leather bar tape.

You can take a look at mine here: http://cyclingviafrancigena.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-surly-long-haul-trucker-nearly.html

Cycle Jerk said...

Jon,
How do you like the bar tape? A friend offered me some of his and I a curious about the feel. Nice LHT BTW.

Jon said...

Hey,
I havent really used it enough to give a proper opinion. I only got the bike about 2 weeks ago. It really does look and feel amazing, but provides a lot less padding than conventional cork or gel tape. I wear glove so it is not a problem for me.

I'm very happy with it so far, but time will tell I guess!