Friday, December 14, 2007

Old Man Winter is Going Down

My wife and I recently moved into a house built in 1937. It's a cool little house that comes with a lot of charm and unfortunately cold floors and drafty windows. We had similar problems in our old house but didn't do much about it. I have no intention of living with the cold again, so I scored a Thermoworks infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the walls, windows, floors, ceilings, and just about anything else I point it at. Aside from being a fun new toy, it has proven very useful in the fight against the heating bill. I have found places around doors and electrical outlets where the heat escapes. A 5 to 10 degree shift in surface temp can lead you to an unsealed door frame or a window that may need replacing. At $100, it wasn't cheap, but well worth the price.

No comments: