Monday, October 15, 2012

834 Miles Per God Damn Hour

When I was a kid I spent a lot of my time staring at this image of Joseph Kittinger skydiving from the edge of space. There was something truly mind blowing about this image. I never saw any footage of the jump or heard anything about it anywhere else. I just had this photo... to stare at.


Fast forward thirty something years to yesterday when Felix Baumgartner did it live in HD for me and my 4 year old girl to watch.


We both watched with jaws dropped as Baumgartner reached 834 miles per god damn hour. My daughter was totally engaged, asking lots of questions and making some pretty keen observations (for a 4 year old). After he landed we exchanged high fives and fist bumps and danced around the kitchen yelling about how great science was.

To make it even cooler Joseph Kittinger was leading the ground crew. Buh BAM!

Having said all of that, my daughter and I wont be drinking a red bull any time soon.




2 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

It certainly was pretty mind blowing.....!!

-Trevor

pinchflat said...

I have to agree with Trevor, that sh!t was mind blowing. I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit and there he was, parading around on youtube dressed like an astronaut. I guess that's better than a pirate but still, It's not halloween yet...