Thursday, July 15, 2010

DIY: Helmet Repair

I'm a bit tough on my bike gear. I tend to push bike parts and accessories farther than most people would. Mostly because I'm cheap but do take pride in the longevity of a good bike part.

I have a Giro Atmos that I love dearly. It's a great helmet that I rarely notice while riding. To me that's the sign of a good piece of gear. If your not thinking about it while riding then it's doing it's job and all is well. 


With the Atmos however, a piece of the metal... um...  clip housing thingy, broke off allowing the plastic band that fits the helmet to my head to come loose...  often. To fix this I took a rather unconventional approach. I needed to put something in there that would harden in place like glue. I was worried about the glue dissolving the styrofoam making the problem worse or possibly weakening the helmet.  What I came up with was wood filler.



With a little wood filler in place the plastic strap snaps right back into place allowing me to once again forget about it's existence.


I know it's frowned upon to do any repairs to a helmet out of fear that the helmet won't perform as it should when the time comes but this seems pretty minor. I'm going to replace it at the end of the summer anyway.


All this talk of helmets makes me think of... the 90's.





No comments: