Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter: 1 - Cycle Jerk: 0

I kept thinking to myself this morning, I should have ridden the Rocky. Why am I riding the LHT when is snowed last night? This thought didn't linger as it was so beautiful out. Blue sky against freshly fallen snow was inspiring to say the least.



There were no ducks today but the sun beams were coming through the trees and lighting everything up. A good morning indeed.

It was shortly after I took this photo that I hit a patch of ice that was hiding under the new snow cover. The front tire disappeared in an instant and over the bars I went. I was able to plant a foot but my other foot snagged the bars and my elbow met the ice at full speed followed by the rest of my body weight.

Sometime during this moment the drop bar on the drive side got jammed under the top tube. I had to hit it a few times to get it unstuck only to see that it made 2 nice dings in the steel.

I doubt that this will cause a structural problem but I am going to send Surly an e-mail to check.




God Dammit...



6 comments:

BrianB said...

[Reassurance] At least you weren't riding carbon fiber!

dc dirtbag said...

At least you didn't knock your weave out but that totally sucks. Your mellow was harshed 4 sure.

Jim Lambert said...

You got some nice pictures though and a great story to pass along

Aushiker said...

Nasty. I assume you are ok?

Casey A said...

I have a much bigger dent in my LHT top tube and have ridden it more than 1k miles since the dent -- it has not caused any problems and shows no signs of getting worse. I would not worry about it if I were you -- although I know it is no fun to damage your bike even when the harm is just aesthetic.

Cycle Jerk said...

Aushiker - Bruised elbow and pride

that's good to know Casey. Thanks