Friday, November 6, 2009

I Feel The Need, The Need For Tweed!


Huzzah!

A Washington, DC tweed ride emerges! You may remember my post from late September, whining that other cities were having all the fun and DC was in desperate need of tweed. It looks like my whining has payed off. Now I don't think that the ride is a direct result of my post but I'll just pretend it may have helped things along.

Here is the info from Dandies and Quaintrelles

Washington D.C.'s first ever tweed ride is set to begin on November 15, 2009. Our reason is pleasure and style. Our cause is Arts for the Aging, Inc. (AFTA).

Some of you have been waiting for a tweed ride in D.C. Others are confused and uncertain of it's point. We'll let points be made by politicians. Style is our concern. Amusement is our desire. We saw great style and imagined considerable amusement in the images of tweed rides in other major cities. Use your google skills and see what fun has been had in London, Chicago, San Fransisco and Boston.

We'll begin our ride at 11:00 am on 8th and H Street N.E. behind the great bank. There's an appropriately appointed photo studio that has been preparing to capture respectable images of our fashionable participants.

We'll end our ride on 14th and U where Marvin will provide us with nourishment, libations and fine soul. Non riders are welcome to join us in the festivities. If you need any more details on why you should spend a fall Sunday with us in your finest tweeds, you're making too much of a fuss of things.

Leave the fussiness to us and avoid it by appearing on vintage bikes, vintage inspired bikes, fixed geared machines and dapper attire. Leave the fleece, lycra and rugged outer shells at home. This ride is for the dandy!

Don't have a bike, Don't worry! Join us for the afterparty at Marvin. There will be raffles, giveaways, specialty drinks offered by our sponsor Plymouth Gin, and wall to wall dandies dancing to the finest britpop and soul this side of the Atlantic!

Return to this invite frequently for more surprising details.

View the lovely photos below for our inspiration!

So there you are chaps. Save the date and some festive spirit.

Cheers


7 comments:

kateofftheclock said...

Finally! Now that I've traded in ponies for wheels, a perfect opportunity to wear my hacking jacket and take my Gazelle Medeo out in style!

Cycle Jerk said...

Good for you!

Freewheel said...

I hope I can make this! If only I could restore my 3-speed by then - but that's not likely. I'll have to choose between a 1980fixie and a 1992 bridgestone xo-2 - not sure that either qualifies as vintage. But then maybe this is more about the clothes than the bikes.

Cycle Jerk said...

A fixie always qualifies. I am kicking myself for shaving the handlebar mustache I grew for Halloween.

Jen said...

I have no bike, but I do have tweed, and you better believe I want to witness this!

gwadzilla said...

I lack tweed...

but I certainly have a fixed gear and some appropriate facial hair... even if I am trying to bridge my chops into a beard!

thanks for sharing

MomandDaughter said...

I was just outside my church on the 15th when this group was passing by on bicycles. I was with my 14 year old daughter, and we were charmed by the style and stood there, watching as your group passed by.

The group lost its charm, however, when one of its members shouted out something about our religion in an excessively nasty, snarky tone of voice. We came to our church that day feeling good -- not expecting to be harassed on the street by some random stranger.

This was in Dupont Circle - an area of town in which I always felt diversity was celebrated.

My daughter was upset, as was I. She asked me if I thought people in your group would harass people outside their synagogues. I said I didn't know - but there are so many different types of groups and people from so many different kinds of places in this area, that it's a real shame if that guy spent the trip making fun of everyone who was different from himself.

We had a long talk about intolerance, ignorance, stupidity, and bigotry.

I hope before future events, you ask those members of your group who like to harass innocent people to please stay home.