Thursday, October 2, 2008

Biker Bonus In Bailout Billions

I don't pretend to know much about the complexities of our financial system. All I know is what I can piece together from headlines and sound bites. After the the first round bailout proposal was shit canned I decided to take a closer look when the second round came out. It has grown over 300 pages, most of which again I don't understand. There is one little gem that peaked my interest though, Section 211 - Transportation fringe benefit to bicycle commuters (page 205). Basically it says that if you bike commute on a "regular" basis, your employer can write off $20 a month stipend for your commuting expenses.

At first I thought that it was a silly thing to include when we are in such a dire financial crisis. What the hell are they doing trying to cram unrelated garbage into this bill that we are apparently so desperate to pass. Then again, it would give a boost to bike commuting, the local economy and help me get that down low glow I always wanted for the Girvin. So hell yeah, I'm all for it.

No comments: